Monday, January 28, 2008

First Site

http://www.scottmccloud.com/makingcomics/tour.html

This is Scott McCloud's web site--mostly dedicated to his latest book Making Comics. I've read his previous "comics on comics" (the classic Understanding Comics and now somewhat quaint Reinventing Comics) but I'm not as interested in as many "craft" issues, so haven't gotten around to the new one. Plus I already have a ton to read...

In any event, this particular part of the site deals with his fifty state tour and the link to his blog is what I'm most interested in for the "narrative elements" assignment. This is, perhaps, a gimmie, since the blog deals with a straightforward journey and is organized chronologically, but the other bloggers (especially his daughter, who updates us on her grades!) act as characters that weave their own pieces into the larger tale. The occasionally updated maps are fun too (all blue states, of course). It reminds me of long drives to Florida we used to endure in my childhood. A few times I can recall passing campers or RVs with maps posted in a rear window with the visited states colored in. I always wanted to fill up such a map and visit all the states too...

No comments: